Gold Hill Museum Garden’s southerly aspect offers a magnificent view towards the chalk downland of Melbury Beacon, and the lush meadows of the Blackmore Vale. In keeping with the origins of the Museum buildings, it remains essentially a cottage garden. It is also a Wildlife Friendly Garden, recognised by the Dorset Wildlife Trust. No chemicals or slug pellets are used in its management. There are three birdbaths, including one sculpted by Janet Swiss in the shape of a Saxon silver penny; three compost bins; and two log piles. A succession of herbaceous perennials provides nectar and pollen for bees, butterflies and other insects. For human visitors there are four benches, two in full sun and two in shade, including one just outside the Museum door. The newest bench, donated in 2015 by friends of the late Leonore Schafarik, is made from recycled plastic, the equivalent of 1401 two-pint milk containers saved from landfill.