“Shaftesbury” was one of the Southern Railway Company’s “West Country” class of steam locomotives. She hauled trains across the South and West from 1946 to 1963, and was scrapped at the British Railways works in Eastleigh in 1964. One of her two name-plates was presented to Shaftesbury Borough Council in 1964 by former BR Works Manager Mr J.T. Hillier. This has now been kindly loaned to the Museum by the Town Council, together with an OO gauge model of the original engine and tender given by Mr W.R. Sherriff. Helping to fix the model in its bespoke case above the name-plate in time for the 19 March opening are Peter Campbell-Orde of Framers of Shaftesbury and S&DHS Trustee John Parker.
Blog Latest News
Sorry – Currently Closed
Next Open in February 2021 for Shaftesbury Snowdrops
Days of the Week and Hours to be Advised
(Donations very welcome)