Restored Sun and Moon Sign

Sensation at The Sun and Moon November 1906

Hanging once again outside Gold Hill Museum, above the passageway down from the High Street, is the newly restored Sun and Moon Inn sign. During the winter months Shaftesbury & District Historical Society Trustee John Parker repainted and repositioned the sign, derived from the crest of the Bowles family after whom the Bowles Arms (or Sun and Moon Inn) was named. Having told us last month of the lively goings-on at the Edwardian lodging house in Sun and Moon Cottage, fellow Trustee Ray Simpson has revealed another sensational episode involving assault and possible murder in the Spring issue of The Byzant, the Historical Society Newsletter. This can be accessed in the About Us menu of the Gold Hill Museum website.